Studying English allows students to imagine, discover and experience worlds without boundaries. At Chestnut Grove the English curriculum strives to embed in students a love of literature, as well as the means to express themselves using excellent standard English, thoroughly preparing them for the future. Our results are consistently outstanding.
Curriculum on offer
- KS3 is a broad curriculum ranging from Oliver Twist to modern poetry, formal writing to writing their own science fiction novels. Students are encouraged to read independently, developing the key skills to write and communicate in a range of contexts.
- At GCSE we study Dickens’ Great Expectations, Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, Orwell’s Animal Farm, and modern poetry. Students master how to write for a range of purposes and contexts, focusing on grammatical accuracy.
- The new Edexcel A Level allow students to dive into a challenging literary world. Texts studied include: Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale; Williams’ A Streetcar Named Desire; and Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra.
How to support your child’s learning at school: Accelerated Reader, Sam Learning, BBC Bitesize, Spark Notes, schmoop.com, Edexcel website.
The English department is committed to delivering extra-curricular activities that enrich students’ learning. Annual participation in the Shakespeare Schools Festival allow Key Stage 3 students of all abilities to perform Shakespeare in a professional venue. All Key Stages attend theatre trips to professional venues across London; we also have actor workshops, author talks and writing competitions within school. Residential trips with the sixth form allow intensive study every year and the opportunity to visit Shakespeare’s Stratford.
- Ms J Smith – Head of English (maternity leave) email@example.com
- Ms V Stabler - Assistant Head and English teacher
- Ms Verber – Head of Drama and Assistant Head
- Ms Robinson - Acting Head of English
- Ms Masters-Waage –ic KS5
- Ms C Smith –ic KS3
- Ms Butcher - Teacher
- Ms Shekar - Teacher
- Ms Bracken - Teacher