1. Creativity is considered a high order skill and Music encourages students to be creative and in class through composing, analysing and performing. The Arts are a vital part of the curriculum and skills learned and honed in performing arts lessons will support students in all other areas of study, as well as being fun.
We offer Peripatetic lessons in Piano, Strings, Woodwind, Guitar, Drums, Voice & Brass. Instrument hire is free and lessons are priced at well below the national average.
We hold two large scale concerts each year in addition to Informal recitals, external gigs, and the school Musical which encourage participants of all ages (as well as help from the parents where we can!)
Studying the Performing Arts develops transferable skills in teamwork, problem solving, resilience & leadership. Music works very closely with Drama and Dance as part of the Performing Arts Faculty at Chestnut Grove. We look forward to welcoming you.
Curriculum on offer
- KS3 – Reading Music, Interhouse competition & Winter concert performance, World Music, Soundscapes, Classical Remix, Music for Film, Musicals, Songwriting, Elements of Music
- 4 – GCSE Music – AQA syllabus
- 5 – A Level Music – AQA syllabus; A Level Music Technology – Edexcel syllabus; BTEC Music Technology – Edexcel
3.Use of subject beyond the classroom
The Performing Arts Team work tirelessly organizing performances both within school and in the local community. We have taken part in National and International tours and competitions and pride ourselves on provision of excellence in performance; whether that’s at the Royal Festival Hall or at a local Primary Summer Fayre.
The skills developed during rehearsal and performances include self discipline, tact, leadership skills and communication; in addition to strengthening the school ethos and bringing students of all ages together.
You can see our performances on www.youtube.com/missdurbanmusic or through following us on Twitter @CGAPerformers
4. Staff teaching in department from September 2015
Ms E. Durban, Head of Department email@example.com
Mr C. Burstow
Ms K. Striesow